[Help] Metallic effect!

Hello, someone could help me with photoshop or illustrator to create a striped metal background like the one on this watch! the contributions are appreciated!

2 Likes

Hello @GRR, this tutorial on YouTube seems to be good for your purposes and it is only 5 minutes long.

1 Like

Thank you @Tomas for your contribution, that effect is how to do it and I have applied it to many of my designs … an example …

what you tell me to do is this kind of circular scratching

while I look for a scratch towards the center of the sphere like this …

1 Like

Hello @GRR, sorry for misunderstanding, I should read slow and watch more precise. Anyway thanks for additional explanation of the problem.

I think you could reach good results with just changing the blur effect (after adding noise in the youtube video). Please just try to use Radial Blur Effect Filter & the “ZOOM BLUR METHOD” setting instead of “spin blur method”. Depending on the picture dimensions and resolution maybe more times after each other.

The only one disadvantage could be, in my opinion, the middle of the picture. However I guess you will “install” the hands there and so it will disappear anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great! I had just discovered it by testing the different variables!
Thank you very much @Tomas for the help!

1 Like

@GRR,
What you are looking for is called a starburst brush (regarding “brushed metals”). I agree you can see how beautiful the effect is on this Senator. What you are looking for is:

1. Add noise
  2. Motion Blur - make sure the blur streaks are up and down (90-degrees)
  3. Distort - POLAR COORDINATES (Square to Polar)
  4. Then add your lighting, shadows, etc.

-John

2 Likes

Hi @jmorga106, what you describe here (using of the Polar Coordinates) sound even much better then the another method we described above! Thanks for sharing it.

Apropos, do you know, how this king of brushing is realized in the real world at the real watch background?

1 Like

@Tomas and @jmorga106, Here is a sample of how I could achieve my first brushed metal background approach!

3 Likes

Hey @Tomas actually I don’t, but it must be a very narrow scoring tool while spinning the surface thru a whole circle.

1 Like

:clap:Yessssssssss @GRR!!! That looks totally real and awesome!! :heart_eyes: :+1::clap::clap:

1 Like

I tried to search some information for this technology, but I could not find any so far.

1 Like