Watchmaker v Facer

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :smirk:

3 Likes

All I can say is, it’s reviews like this that keeps me from ever trying Watchmaker.

5 Likes

In general it seems cheaper. It costs you as much to get access to extra features for good, as it costs you facer pro for month. (the other options I do not care much about, I wont pay anything “premium”. Either I can make it on my own when I get me PRO again someday, or I can be without it)

2 Likes

I have a TicWatch Pro 3

1 Like

Here are the differences between Facer and Watchmaker:

Sharing:
Facer: The Facer app or website
Wacthmaker: Exports a .watch file that contains all the components of the watch (literally an archive of the watch), you can encrypt it to prevent changes, otherwise anyone with the .watch file can modify it. You can also share your watch on the Watchmaker website, and at Watchawear.

Advanced features: VARs, complications, touch interaction, themes, etc:
Facer: Requires Facer Creator Pro $49.99 per year
Watchmaker: All features included free

Sales opportunities:
Facer: Must be invited to be a Facer Creator Partner.
Watchmaker: Anyone can post faces for sale at watchmaker.com, Google Play, etc.

Community support:
Facer: Very robust community support at Facer.com, Facebook, Discord.
Watchmaker: Wiki

Conclusions:
Frankly, both sites serve their intended users well(Watchmaker users basically expect no support).
It’s not a Facer v Watchmaker situation, rather it’s a two sides of the same coin situation. In spite of my rantings that birthed this thread, I’m not leaving Facer or Watchmaker, I’ll use them in conjunction with each other.

2 Likes

Fair enough, but we both know that there have been posts here with the same complaints about Facer.

3 Likes

I agree, but it’s all in the devil you know compared to the unknown one.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you! You’ve greatly expanded my knowledge of Facer. :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Ain’t that the truth!

1 Like

This might help explain my issue:

If I download this face [Watch Face] Pilot Carbon Steel it displays the altitude as 7,980 ft when it should be 2,589 ft. The correction factor is (7,980)(0.35563186813186813186813186813187) - I like exact numbers.

BUT, When I download my Watchmaker faces, the altitude is correctly reported. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

What about your own test face? If you just put in simple text fields with #ALT# & #ATM# what do you get? Are the values closer to what you would expect?

2 Likes

Oh, and anything near to a factor of 3 looks to me like it could be a unit conversion issue. Unless the conversion from pressure to altitude is being carried out by the watch, Facer will be doing the conversion using a particular formula and values for the various constants. That formula and values of constants might be slightly different than the ones that other platforms use. So, a variation in altitude between platforms is not surprising. Correction values of around 3 to 3.5 that you are seeing could be due ft to m unit settings / conversion issues.

2 Likes

In Creator they show 25,553.771 & 438.530. On my watch they show 7971.840 & 927.383

Ratio of 3.0791 to actual altitude of 2589 and 1.084 for the pressure from my weather station.

The same ratio when I download other people’s faces.

1 Like

Ok, another question :slightly_smiling_face:

Is your weather station pressure compensated for altitude? That is, it is normal to adjust a barometer so that it shows pressure as it would be if the barometer were at sea level. That might explain why your watch is showing 927 and your weather station 1084.

If you live around 2,500 ft then I don’t know what is going on with Facer on your watch - the tag works correctly on my Tizen based watch. If you raise a new support ticket ( giving as many details as you can ) and tell me the support ticket number I will raise one of my own and quote yours as well.

Oh and something else to try to see if the issue can be isolated - you could try different combinations of unit settings on your phone/watch and in the Facer app on you watch to see what happens. The results of that test might also be helpful to Facer to see what might be going on.

And, don’t worry about the values that Creator shows - these are meaningless. In fact if you press fast forward on the “time machine” at the bottom of the screen you will see these values changing very quickly.

4 Likes

I have both absolute and relative pressure. I’ll get a ticket opened tomorrow.

2 Likes

@scttwd I realize we are off-topic discussing hardware, but I have no way to split out the Lenovo comments from this topic. I’ve been wondering if your warranty repair was returned to you and how the IdeaPad is working now. One of my former students was thinking about buying one.

3 Likes

Hi Linlay,
Lenovo did repair my LT in a timely manner and the repairs needed are done right but there is now an issue with it suddenly shutting off. My LT now turns off or shuts down on its own sporadically. The power switch seems to have an issue. It doesn’t seem to respond and/or also sporadic to touch. I need to contact them but I am so frustrated I would like to get a new different brand.
I guess this answers your question.
Best of luck.

Yikes! That’s not good. I’ve never had a problem with Lenovo (I did have duds from Dell a while ago). As I mentioned before, I have used ThinkPads for years (since 1998). I did have a couple of Lenovo YOGA Pros when they first came out, but they have been passed on after 5 years to needy middle school students who are still using them. What I’m getting at is that it may not be the brand in your case, but the model. The engineering schools at local universities near my home require their students to use specific P-series ThinkPads, but they are not inexpensive. My laptops are X and T series. I travel with an L series. Never had a problem. As with anything else, when it comes to computers, you get what you pay for. I’m sorry to read that you ended up with a double dose of bad luck. Apologies to all for my hijacking this topic.

3 Likes

True, you get what you pay for but even the nice expensive ones have defective or problem ones in their stock. It seems that’s the one I always get. lol.
I’ve had good luck with HP. The one I just started having hard drive issues with was about 10 years old. That’s about life expectancy in my experienc and history. I should have my lenovo looked at again. Just means another month without it.

1 Like

No worries about hijacking my thread. I brought up Lenovo so it’s fair game. People are communicating, and that’s the name of the game.

3 Likes