Watchmaker v Facer

Oh Yum. I see g in the Formula. We can get the Accelerometer reading involved there. Like a face with Tide readings that can not work every where local calibration is essential. I can not guess how to do that without VAR.

Please Inspect this. You will see the top layers have a method for imputing a large number with 4 VARs.

2 Likes

So true.
I’ve said it many times: the best part of Facer is this community.

3 Likes

Yup, the people, the help, the support, the feedback, the affirmation of your work make Facer what it is. WM has NO community unless you think MeWe is it. Countless groups there see little to no activity. Bust your ass, make an amazing watchface, get 10 likes if your lucky. Then jog onto one of the many “thief” sites and see your work there benefitting someone else. F*** that!

3 Likes

kd7eir, then it’s two of us :slight_smile:
I bought my Gear S3 Frontier only because I wanted tu use the watch with a 24 hour analog watch face. To be able to create my own is a big bonus.

I haven’t testet Watchmaker, from my point of view (24 hour analog), could Watchmaker be of interest for me (I’m not a Pro/Premium user at Facer!)?

2 Likes

You will just spend time learning another UI. Spend the Time here. I bet WM does not have thousands of Hands, Dials, Backgrounds and GIFs dotted about the Community like Diamonds waiting to be picked up off the Beach. All that is required is to do a little search and follow the Crumb Trail.

Facer is not a Watch Making Platform it is an Adventure for the Creative Mind.

Intrestingly the Old Longhand Moon Phase Percent formulas developed 3 or 4 yers ago are still more accurate than the new Moon Percent Tag.

We are all riding allong on the shoulders of Giants.

5 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :smirk:

3 Likes

All I can say is, it’s reviews like this that keeps me from ever trying Watchmaker.

5 Likes

In general it seems cheaper. It costs you as much to get access to extra features for good, as it costs you facer pro for month. (the other options I do not care much about, I wont pay anything “premium”. Either I can make it on my own when I get me PRO again someday, or I can be without it)

2 Likes

I have a TicWatch Pro 3

1 Like

Here are the differences between Facer and Watchmaker:

Sharing:
Facer: The Facer app or website
Wacthmaker: Exports a .watch file that contains all the components of the watch (literally an archive of the watch), you can encrypt it to prevent changes, otherwise anyone with the .watch file can modify it. You can also share your watch on the Watchmaker website, and at Watchawear.

Advanced features: VARs, complications, touch interaction, themes, etc:
Facer: Requires Facer Creator Pro $49.99 per year
Watchmaker: All features included free

Sales opportunities:
Facer: Must be invited to be a Facer Creator Partner.
Watchmaker: Anyone can post faces for sale at watchmaker.com, Google Play, etc.

Community support:
Facer: Very robust community support at Facer.com, Facebook, Discord.
Watchmaker: Wiki

Conclusions:
Frankly, both sites serve their intended users well(Watchmaker users basically expect no support).
It’s not a Facer v Watchmaker situation, rather it’s a two sides of the same coin situation. In spite of my rantings that birthed this thread, I’m not leaving Facer or Watchmaker, I’ll use them in conjunction with each other.

2 Likes

Fair enough, but we both know that there have been posts here with the same complaints about Facer.

3 Likes

I agree, but it’s all in the devil you know compared to the unknown one.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you! You’ve greatly expanded my knowledge of Facer. :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Ain’t that the truth!

1 Like

This might help explain my issue:

If I download this face [Watch Face] Pilot Carbon Steel it displays the altitude as 7,980 ft when it should be 2,589 ft. The correction factor is (7,980)(0.35563186813186813186813186813187) - I like exact numbers.

BUT, When I download my Watchmaker faces, the altitude is correctly reported. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

What about your own test face? If you just put in simple text fields with #ALT# & #ATM# what do you get? Are the values closer to what you would expect?

2 Likes

Oh, and anything near to a factor of 3 looks to me like it could be a unit conversion issue. Unless the conversion from pressure to altitude is being carried out by the watch, Facer will be doing the conversion using a particular formula and values for the various constants. That formula and values of constants might be slightly different than the ones that other platforms use. So, a variation in altitude between platforms is not surprising. Correction values of around 3 to 3.5 that you are seeing could be due ft to m unit settings / conversion issues.

2 Likes

In Creator they show 25,553.771 & 438.530. On my watch they show 7971.840 & 927.383

Ratio of 3.0791 to actual altitude of 2589 and 1.084 for the pressure from my weather station.

The same ratio when I download other people’s faces.

1 Like

Ok, another question :slightly_smiling_face:

Is your weather station pressure compensated for altitude? That is, it is normal to adjust a barometer so that it shows pressure as it would be if the barometer were at sea level. That might explain why your watch is showing 927 and your weather station 1084.

If you live around 2,500 ft then I don’t know what is going on with Facer on your watch - the tag works correctly on my Tizen based watch. If you raise a new support ticket ( giving as many details as you can ) and tell me the support ticket number I will raise one of my own and quote yours as well.

Oh and something else to try to see if the issue can be isolated - you could try different combinations of unit settings on your phone/watch and in the Facer app on you watch to see what happens. The results of that test might also be helpful to Facer to see what might be going on.

And, don’t worry about the values that Creator shows - these are meaningless. In fact if you press fast forward on the “time machine” at the bottom of the screen you will see these values changing very quickly.

4 Likes

I have both absolute and relative pressure. I’ll get a ticket opened tomorrow.

2 Likes