Tizen 3.0 Update Support Megapost

Update #3: 2/6:
Many users have reported that updating the companion app (on your watch) to Facer 4.2.6 will resolve the issue!

Update #2: 12/13:
We are aware that Issue #3 (reverting to default face) is not yet fixed. We’re working on an update and will deliver this as quickly as possible.

Update #1: 12/7:
Samsung has approved our latest version of the app, please update and report if you are still having issues! The version number is 4.2.2.

Note that to clear the 75% stall bug after updating to Tizen 3.0, you will likely still need to uninstall and reinstall on the watch.

We’ve had a number of reports that users Samsung Gear S3 & Sport users are experiencing major issues after updating to Tizen 3.0. To help centralize the steps to resolve issues, we’re putting together this post of what we’ve found, what the status is for us fixing it, and what you can do today to try to resolve it.

Note that these issues are specific to the Samsung Gear watches using Tizen 3, and paired with an Android phone.

Issue #1: Faces stop syncing at 75%

This issue is caused by a bug in the actual update progress from Tizen 2.x to Tizen 3.x. Faces will begin to sync to the watch, but progress stops around 3/4 or 75% of the way through.

Solution: Uninstall & Reinstall the Facer Companion App on your Samsung Gear

1. Open the Samsung Gear app on your phone
  2. Tap the ‘Settings’ tab
  3. Select ‘Watchfaces’
  4. Tap the 3 dots in the top right and select ‘uninstall’
  5. Find ‘Facer’ in the listing and tap the ‘minus’ button, then confirm
  6. Search the Galaxy App Store for Facer and reinstall the Facer Companion App

Note - you should only need to do this once, please let us know if it occurs again after reinstalling.

Issue #2: Sync button is red and no watch faces will sync to the watch

** UPDATE 12/7: This issue should be alleviated by version 4.2.2 of the Samsung Facer Companion App on your watch

This issue often occurs if your watch reports a connectivity issue. The sync button will appear red on any watch face, and syncing to the watch will not work.

Solution: Change watch face to a default, then switch back to Facer
We’re working on a new version to allow the app to automatically fix syncing issues, but in the meantime you can resolve this by changing to any other watch face (e.g. a Samsung default) then changing back to Facer:

1. Long press on your watch face to bring up the picker
  2. Swipe left or right to pick any other watch face, then tap to confirm
  3. Long press again, and swipe back to Facer, tap to confirm.
  4. In the app, navigate to a new watch face and try syncing a few times.

Issue #3: Facer screen turns ‘black’ and reverts to an alternate (default) face

** UPDATE: 2/6: Many users have reported that updating the companion app (on your watch) to Facer 4.2.6 will resolve the issue!

** UPDATE 12/13: While one occurrence of this has been fixed, there is still an issue with watches reverting after some time. We’re working on a fix as quickly as possible

** UPDATE 12/7: This issue should be alleviated by version 4.2.2 of the Samsung Facer Companion App on your watch

When loading Facer, the screen will turn black, then switch to a default watch face.

Solution
This is due to a timeout issue in Tizen 3.0. Some users have reported that there is less of a problem after reinstalling, but this won’t fix the issue entirely. We recommend trying to switch to Facer when your battery is more fully charged. We’ve identified the issue internally, and are working on a fix right now which will be released ASAP once we’ve tested it.

Issue #4: Facer screen is black on certain watches in dim mode

Instead of AOD or a dim watch face, the watch face turns entirely off for dim mode. This can tend to happen with brighter watch faces. We’re working on a universal fix which will be released ASAP once we’ve tested it.

Solution
Our team is working on a release that will fix this issue. In the meantime, selecting darker watch faces should work better, as it’s related to the brightness of the face itself.

Update:
Using the ‘Dimmed’ option on the watch face will also help alleviate the issue:

1. Triple tap the watch face to bring up the menu
  2. Tap the right button until you get to the settings page
  3. Select ‘Dimmed’
6 Likes

My is issue 3 , hope fix come soon!
Thank you for the facer app and great work you guys!!

Update: Samsung has approved our latest version of the app, please update and report if you are still having issues!

Note that to clear the 75% stall bug after updating to Tizen 3.0, you will likely still need to uninstall and reinstall on the watch.

1 Like

I also have problem to sync from the app (S7 Edge) to my watch (Gear Sport), the sync button stays red :frowning:
I have the latest version already installed (there is no new one available)
i’m a beta tester for Facer, so i there’s something to test please let me know

@andre.dijkgat, hi check you have version 4.3.4_4517 running on the phone, and also update the companion version 4.2.2

@Gavin, @Facer_Official; thanks for the speedy update, working for me right now, will test and report any issue. :+1:

1 Like

@hayden I have all the version Numbers you asked for. Any more tips?

I now have version 4.3.5_4528 on my phone and now i can sync but now on the watch after x minutes the face revert back to samsung default.

I’ve updated my Facer both phone and watch, but still, have a problem revert to default.
And I can’t “triple tap” to open my setting anymore :sweat:

Ok did some testing and found a few stuff:

• first I removed facer from phone and made sure cache and data was clear, so no glitch from backed files (clean install)

• I did a factory reset on gear again make sure no backed files existed

*installed facer 4.2.2 on gear and followed installation prompts and installed latest version on phone

*The first few minutes everything looked fine but as soon as the watch goes in a sleep mode (± 4 minutes) in and you wake up the watch… facer re-synchronize the watch face, I also felt a slight vibration sometimes when the watch is in dimming mode

• The watch did go back to its default Samsung watch face and did it more offen in a period of an hour testing:(

*I also found that the watch new platform (Tzen 3.0) is not stable as the previous versions… notifications from phone to watch sometimes had a delay or did not send notifications… and most interesting was that even with Samsung’s build in watch faces if you wake up watch the galaxy watch app opened and then popped back to the watch face you selected

I personally think the majority of problems is from the watch platform (Tizen 3.0) it could be the new short cut function to switch AOD on/off

Hope this report could be of use for the facer team :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reports @steff6, @andre.dijkgat, @welth92, & @hayden. We’re going to have our team continue looking into the issue where it’s switching back to the default face. Glad to hear much of the syncing is improving, we’ll continue to work on any edge cases. We really appreciate everyone’s patience and help as we navigate this!

The Update has come jus for the android phones which are connected to Gear s3… but I have my Gear s3 connected to iPhone 7 Plus and I am still facing the issue…Facer reverts to default Watch face after few minutes…the problem is solved only for android users …what about iOS users??

I have the same problem. The dial returns to the default face despite all updates and resets.
Note 8
Gear S3 classic

With new facer companion 4.2.2.38 still resetting to default on standalone with Android phone.
With bluetooth connected it works ok.

So unfortunately the fix did not work.

@Gavin, feedback re latest software revisions:

1. When watch is in standalone mode, Facer is unstable, on morning reboot after full overnight charge, it takes a while for Facer face to settle down, it reverts back to preinstalled face several times. Also when face wakes it shows the ‘the placing gears’ load wheel.
  2. Triple tap is hit and miss, it used to be really easy to get to the edit display with three taps now it takes several attempts with varying tap rhythm to get to edit mode. This might be a Tizen issue but thought I’d mention it, be interested to know if anyone else has same issue?
  3. at 66% approx face reverts to preinstalled face, % varies but in the 60’s typically, may be coincidence as I’m not staring at my watch all day, seriously I’m not, despite what my wife says.

Thanks everyone - sounds like Issue #3 is still a major bug for users. We’ll keep working on this and let you know once we have a proper update.

My GS3 has not even updated to the new Teagan 3.0. It is not even been pushed from Samsung. Everytime I try to look at the latest updates my watch says that all of the latest updates are done.

My issue is the #3 point y refer and nothing solve when I reinstall.

We’ve spoken to Samsung regarding issue #3, and they have confirmed this is partly due to an issue of Tizen 3.0 itself. They are working on an update to Tizen that should alleviate the problem, though they were unable to let us know when this would be released. In the meantime, our team is continuing to see if there is anything we can do to help with the issue before the update.

1 Like