⚠️ IMPORTANT - Pixel Watch 3, Samsung Galaxy Watch7/Ultra compatibility

:warning: Facer support on Pixel Watch 3, Samsung Galaxy Watch7/Ultra, and future watches that come with Wear OS 5

This notice aims to shed some light on the compatibility of Facer with the newly released Pixel Watch 3, and Samsung Galaxy Watch7/Ultra, and other watches that come with Wear OS 5 out of the box.

What happened?

Due to a policy change by Google, new Wear OS 5 watches, including the Pixel Watch 3, Samsung Galaxy Watch7 and Galaxy Watch Ultra, are not compatible with Facer watch faces today. The only watch faces usable on these smartwatches are those that have been built using Google’s “Watch Face Format”.

Why can’t Facer switch to using the “Watch Face Format”?

The Watch Face Format is not compatible with Facer for multiple reasons:

1. The Watch Face Format was not designed to support a marketplace model like the one used by Facer. All watch faces in Watch Face Format have to be published in the Google Play Store, a manual process which is not logistically feasible for our catalog of 500,000 faces
  2. Faces purchased within Facer would not be recognized by Google Play and users would have to repurchase all their watch faces.
  3. Faces in that format do not support a subscription model and Facer Premium subscribers would lose access to all their watch faces.
  4. The capabilities of Watch Face Format are more limited than Facer’s, and converting our faces to that format will result in loss of functionality in a number of cases.

In other words, the Watch Face Format was not designed to support a service such as Facer, which is why we are not able to support it today.

We understand these issues are detrimental to Facer users and we have been actively discussing a resolution with Google since the Watch Face Format was announced last year. The change for the Pixel Watch 3, Samsung Galaxy Watch7 and Galaxy Watch Ultra was unfortunately rolled out before a solution could be reached.

What does this mean for you today?

If you are using a Wear OS watch with Wear OS 4 or earlier, nothing changes and you will still be able to access the largest catalog of watch faces in the world. Note that this remains true even if this watch is updated to Wear OS 5 in the future. The change only applies to NEW watches shipping with WearOS5 out of the box.

If you decide to upgrade to the Pixel Watch 3, Galaxy Watch7 or Galaxy Watch Ultra, you will unfortunately no longer be able to use Facer, the watch faces you purchased on our platform, or access all 500,000 watch faces from our catalog via your Facer Premium subscription.

What’s next?

Facer was born on Google’s first version of Android Wear in the summer of 2014 and has been a vibrant part of this ecosystem ever since. From that initial release, Facer grew to become the leading watch face platform on all major smartwatches, enjoyed by 20 million users, accessing a catalog of over 500,000 watch faces. We have fostered tens of thousands of the most creative independent designers on the planet, and our Facer Creator Partner Program has redistributed millions of dollars to them.

WearOS is where Facer started, it is dear to our hearts, and will continue to do our best to support this platform in the best way we can.
For our millions of users of Facer-compatible smartwatches, we will continue to serve you with the best watch faces in the world, and bring you the best independent designers and brands to your wrists.
For users of the Pixel Watch 3, Samsung Galaxy Watch7 and Ultra, we are working hard with Google to bring the Facer service to you as well, and until that is done we will progressively bring some of our best watch faces to you in the Google Play store. You can find these faces here.

The Facer team very much appreciates your patience as we work through this less than ideal situation. We strongly believe in providing you with choice and in having a diverse ecosystem of watch faces, and are working hard with Google to solve this issue. If you also believe this is important, we recommend reaching out to Google to make your voice heard as well.

Thanks a million for your support throughout the years. For any questions, please reach out to our support team at support@facer.io.

The Facer team

Los Angeles, California

UPDATE September 11th 2024:

• Added Pixel Watch 3 to list of watches affected
  • Added link to faces converted in Watch Face Format available in Google Play Store.
  • Minor language updates for clarity
7 Likes

Thank you for such an informative topic. Facer is always the best :+1:

6 Likes

Everything sounded normal until the part that the changes were released early and abruptly. Software changes, we manage the changes over dependent systems gracefully and gradually. Large scale changes should not be abrupt like this.

Facer and other similar watch face softwares are a big part of the ecosystem and this is a loss to all, but mainly for the users.

I hope that there’s a solution soon.

5 Likes

Things have changed a lot since 2014 . I would not have believed I could make the Watchface I wanted until I met Facer . Thank you very much Facer , and it is not over yet . :sparkles: :trophy: :sparkles:

6 Likes

Best platform to make faces, I wish it was that easy in other places. Hmmm…? Is this a good time to ask if I can become a partner? :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Hey Listen Mate . You stand Behind me in the Queue . :+1: :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

So I’m paying for nothing? I know you’re trying your hardest to make it compatible, but I’m hoping it won’t take too long. In the near future more watches will be using WearOS 5. Thanks.

4 Likes

Interestingly Facer still
support Tizen Samsung Don’t .

3 Likes

That’s true. Samsung hasn’t used Tizen in watches for quite some time.

2 Likes

So how exactly do you create these Google watch faces? Is there an app or something? It seems we are going to lose a whole lot of functionality unless the issue gets resolved.

3 Likes

Good Question . Watch Face Studio is one Way .

1 Like

Besides not getting it to ever sync watch faces, it is a desktop app. I need something with a mobile app or browser version. Like Facer or WM. And you have to apply for a play store account and pay for it too if I remember correctly,

1 Like

With watch face studio you side load the face to watch. Doesnt have to be published on google store. But unlike facer its harder to share your faces with others. If anyone knows of a browser version of WFS please let us know.

2 Likes

One time $25.00 fee. “Sharing” with Google Play is also becoming more challenging day by day too. You are constantly asked to do things/update faces to satisfy their ever-changing policy demands. Rejections are inevitable and not much guidance if any all on specifying the problem and solving the issues. If I am not mistaken, now Google requires any “new” accounts to get their faces tested by no less than 20 testers for a 2 week duration before your face gets approved for free or for paid distribution. The community, understandably due to how hard it is to get set up in Google Play, seems to keep their tips and tricks to themselves and definitely is not like the Facer community in terms of helping the newbies along.

3 Likes

I never got the side load to work. I guess my laptop is well protected against such shenanigans, And having to deal with the play store policies and support for customers would really kill the fun. At least for me as it is just a hobby.

1 Like

I have no trouble getting WFS faces on my GW4 Classic . I have no trouble if someone gives me an unpublished Face Either . I think most of the Issues people have is Because Samsung is Banned in thier Nations . Because we need to use WiFi for the Sync . I am surprised ther are not more Pirates About .

1 Like

@juni00 do you want help with sideloading? I figured out how to and now use my own custom watch face :grinning:

1 Like

I forgot how helpful this forum is :). I’ve been doing WM faces for so long. (I think I put my last six on the site I have in my profile).

That’s ok, I have a very specific rule: if I can’t create watch faces on my iPad I won’t do it. I would have to use my laptop and then it would feel like work.

If Facer manages to negotiate a deal with Google and WM didn’t I’d switch back immediately,

1 Like

I also have a Samsung Watch 7. So I can no longer use my own Facer face. I’m experimenting with Watch face studio. Come a long way. Many tags are missing. But there is much more that is not okay. I know, this isn’t the place to discuss another face program. But are there places where that is possible?

3 Likes