[TOMAJA Tutorial] Tiny Display in Hand with Rolling Text

Hello There,

a few days ago I got a crazy idea to install a small display directly in the hand. Here is the result.

And well I needed to use some “dirty” tricks to reach this ;).

“Normal” Text at the Hand

It was pretty easy to manage the “normal” text (without rolling) and to put it at the hand (or at the semi transparent foil in this case). In this example steps and date should be visible at the minute hand.

For this purposes the circular motion was used instead of rotation to set the precise position. The only one issue was the readability according to the text rotation.

RIGHT Text

X Position

(((sin(((#DWFMS#+36)/180)*pi))*20)+160)

Y Position

(((-cos(((#DWFMS#+36)/180)*pi))*20)+160)

Rotation (to stay parallel with the minute hand)

(#DWFMS#-90)

Transparency (visibility only at the right site)

$#DWFMS#>=0&&#DWFMS#<180?60:0$

LEFTText

X Position

(((sin(((#DWFMS#-36)/180)*pi))*20)+160)

Y Position
(((-cos(((#DWFMS#-36)/180)*pi))*20)+160)

(#DWFMS#+90)

Transparency (visibility only at the left site)

$#DWFMS#>=180&&#DWFMS#<360?60:0$

And we are ready! :wink:

“Rolling” Text at the Hand

If you roll similar text at the minute hand without any other “tricks” you will get something like this.

It looks not really attractive at the moment, however its a good start :wink: So, how to roll the (weather) text at the minute hand. In general, we are using the same base as at the static “normal” text. We add only a dynamic value to it. In this case I was using #DWE# Tag what means the “Running Time Starting with the Watch Wake Up”.

And again we do need the expressions for the right and left site.

RIGHT SITE

X Position

(((sin(((#DWFMS#+0)/180)*pi))40(-#DWE#+0.5))+160)

Y Position

(((-cos(((#DWFMS#+0)/180)*pi))40(-#DWE#+0.5))+160)

(#DWFMS#-90)

Transparency (visibility only at the right site)

$#DWFMS#>=0&&#DWFMS#<180?60:0$

LEFT SITE

X Position

(((sin(((#DWFMS#+0)/180)*pi))40(#DWE#+1.1))+160)

Y Position

(((-cos(((#DWFMS#+0)/180)*pi))40(#DWE#+1.1))+160)

(#DWFMS#+90)

Transparency (visibility only at the left site)

$#DWFMS#>=180&&#DWFMS#<360?60:0$

So far so good. Now the hard part is coming - how to set the text on the top of the hand and at the same time to hide it behind the background.

Additionally the hour hand must be in between (picture above). My solution looks (in one particular moment) like this.

I do need to say that I used three “Dynamic Covers” with overlapping. They hide the text in the opposite side according to the actual minute hand position.

It may looks a little complicated, but the hour hand solution is still mission there ;). However, except this we could be happy, because it works well.

Solution for the Hour Hand

The hand hour was cut in two parts.

The small one was positioned between the Dynamic Cover and the Minute Hand. The top of the hour hand must be under the foil and under the text. Therefore the only possibility was to put this part directly between Background and the transparent foil. Now, the next problem was the Dynamic Cover - this hide everything included the hour hand. So for this time - and only for this time - the hour hand was visible on the top of Dynamic Cover.

Here is a short video sequence how the Dynamic Cover (red) and the duplicate of the hour hand (blue) come and go according to the dally time.

(sorry for the bad video quality)

All details could be seen at the open “Inspector Mode” of this original TOMAJA Design Watch Face.

15 Likes

I have been looking for this everywhere! Great work!

3 Likes

Great work, thank you

3 Likes

Wow, this is truly amazing.

3 Likes

Hi, My name is Sam and I’m fairly new to Facer and would like to say how great your watch face collection is!! I was wondering if you might have the time to help me out with a solution I’m having difficulties with. The effect I’m trying to achieve with a watch face I’m trying to put together is of an endless animation of Mickey Mouse flying a plane in the middle of the watch face (which I have accomplish) but at a certain point have him do a loop de loop and then continue on flying straight. The animation of Mickey doing a loop de loop I have set on one layer above Mickey flying straight, but then I’m looking for that animation to disappear for the duration of the loop de loop and have the loop de loop animation disappear and having the Mickey flying straight reappear and have it timed just right where you’re not able to see the one animation turn in to the other animation so it’s a flawless animation. and So what I’ve got so far is both animations in place and lined up in the x,y axis. Thanks in advance. P.s. The animations are of a series of png images that makes up the animation. Not sure if you needed to know this but I’m adding it in hopes that it helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @sfanara7 You should write to another section, this one is old enough that you’re unlikely to get an answer.
Create a thread with this question in the expression help section.
https://community.facer.io/c/watchface-design/expression-help

1 Like

Hi, I’m not to good in getting around in these forum thingies, I’ll try doing that now. Thank you for your assistance!

1 Like

Fantastic!!! thanks

1 Like

I just tried all the TAGS that Tomas stated above and they don’t work :weary:

1 Like

All I want is for the Text to appear in the hollow section of the Hand, no scrolling at all, but Tomas TAGs that he states sre not working. What am I doing wrong please guys?

2 Likes

Posted an update here: [Watch Face] [Special Effect] What Do You Think About a Tiny Display Directly In The Minute Hand? - #16 by ThaMattie

1 Like
3 Likes

Thanks Andrei Sir, I’ve been there and worked it all out now thanks to ThaMattie :smiley:

1 Like